Friday, October 17, 2008

Stripping

So, the News & Observer recently revamped their comics page, so now is as good a time as any to take a look at the funny pages.

*The Family Circus is not funny. It has never been funny. It is so treacly and sweet that you risk diabetes by just glancing at it. Let me be clear...I hate, loathe and despise Billy, Jeffy, Dolly with the heat of a thousand suns. If "Not Me" murdered them all in their sleep, I would vote to acquit.

*I don't have a problem with Mallard Fillmore having a conservative agenda. I have a problem with it not being funny & having all the subtlety of a chainsaw. I get it...you think liberals are stupid. Now figure out a way to say it cleverly or originally or in a way that doesn't make you look like a raving asshat and I might, might consider your viewpoint.

*All that being said, there are some good things in the funnies. Pearls Before Swine, Zits and Get Fuzzy are consistently entertaining. Red and Rover and Agnes are two of the more promising new strips and I no longer have to try and figure out what the heck Sylvia was even about.

*As long as Peanuts is still in the paper, all is right with the world. There are some things that should stay constant: Mister Rogers on PBS, Bruce Springsteen on tour and Snoopy and Charlie Brown on the comics page. A paper that drops Peanuts has lost its soul.

Until next time...see you in the funny papers.

No comments: