Thursday, September 18, 2008

Social Studies

A couple of (hopefully) brief and (hopefully) entertaining diversions into some cultural matters.

*When I think about John McCain and his desire to be president, I can't help but remember and compare it to the Madonna/Lauper choice of 1983.

Travel back with me to a more innocent time..."Return of the Jedi" was bringing the Star Wars saga to a (mostly) satisfying conclusion, MASH was getting ready to start it's historic final season and MTV was still playing videos. Suddenly, two new stars appeared on the horizon taking the music world by storm. Madonna and Cyndi Lauper were the golden girls of the moment, but only one could ultimately claim the title of "Queen of Pop". If you had asked me then, I would have bet the farm on Cyndi Lauper. She was cute, had an interesting sound, made really entertaining videos and even hung out with Captain Lou Albano. But I totally underestimated how far Madonna was willing to go to be the top dog. She had talent, yes, but Madonna was willing to do anything and I mean ANYTHING to be the biggest star in the world: Sell old nude modeling photos to Playboy, tick off the Roman Catholic church, agree to star in "Who's That Girl" and even sleep with Sean Penn. Cindy never had a chance.

So when I think of the John McCain of 2000, someone who was a troublemaker in Washington and a Republican that even I could vote for and then I see him today, reaching out to the fringe elements of the party...well, it makes me a little sad.

*I was in the car the other day and passed a house that had a large Confederate flag on display. On the one hand, I was glad to see it. It always makes me happy when morons take the time to advertise that they're morons...saves me the effort of forming my own opinions.

I grew up in the South and have seen and heard every possible justification for keeping this divisive symbol around in the 21st Century: "It's a cultural symbol...It's a reminder of a bygone era...It's honors the legacy of men who fought for a lost cause". All of these statements are true...but since you could say the same thing about a Swastika, it holds no water with me. Take it down Bubba...if you want to revel in Antebellum nostalgia, "Gone With The Wind" is readily available on DVD.

*An acquaintance of mine wanted to share some information with me the other day. He was telling me about this 70 hour lecture series that proves, PROVES beyond a shadow of a doubt that hundreds of years ago the Roman Catholic church founded Islam. Listening to him, I kept my expression blank. When confronted with such an obviously psychotic notion, it's best to not react. He told me that most people, after sharing this tidbit with them, told him he was crazy. I did not take the opportunity to mention that I wasn't a theatre minor for nothing.

I'm not a big believer in conspiracy theories. When asked how I account for "______" (fill in your whacked out theory here), I fall back on the tried and true and if it's not it should be scientifically proven notion that Stuff Happens. In fact, I would go so far as to say that no one was more surprised at what Lee Harvey Oswald did in November 1963 than Lee Harvey Oswald himself...and probably President Kennedy.


OK...so, not so brief but hopefully entertaining.

Peace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what, I can see even more of a similarity between McCain and Madonna. I didn't want to, because, as an avid supporter of homosexuals, I love Madonna. However, Madonna won against Cindi Lauper because of her mutable and contraversial ways. McCain changed his tune COMPLETELY between 2000 and now and then did something contraversial - picked a woman for VP! So, on that assumption John McCain should win the popularity vote - however, Madonna did something that McCain will never do - she published "Sex". Until McCain publishes a book where he exposes himself in a variety of ways and reveals personal erotic secrets, rest assured, he will not win this election.

Chris Ayers said...

Never, never try and second guess the mind of the American people. Ever since we (as a nation) decided that we'd rather have a president we could hang out with instead of the best & the brightest...well, you see how that's worked out.

Also...never underestimate the "soccer moms" who are hardcore "values" voters.

Anonymous said...

McCain is not my favorite but he will have to do; we will have to run what we brung. Chris I want a 16oz Sundrop on you after the election considering that the messiah is going to lose this one.

I know this guy...... :)

An acquaintance of mine wanted to share some information with me the other day. He was telling me about this 70 hour lecture series that proves, PROVES beyond a shadow of a doubt that hundreds of years ago the Roman Catholic church founded Islam.