Friday, February 27, 2009

Art Without A Net

Why do I love improv?

It's the only art form (yeah...it's an art) that gets created as it happens.

Books and movies take years to complete. Songs, symphonies and plays are written and rehearsed many times before the public sees them. Painters slave over a canvas alone before exhibiting a piece.

But not improv. Improv springs forth fully formed, like Venus from the forehead of Zeus, as soon as the performers hear the suggestion. It's raw, primal and immediate. It's art without a net.

That's the thrill of watching & performing improv. Anything can happen. It's the rush of the unexpected meeting the spark of inspiration.

It's an adrenaline rush that's hard to beat. If you're not already a fan, you should check it out. You won't be disappointed!

3 comments:

Brian said...

Hold on...a song can be improvised. Long live musical improv!

Chris Ayers said...

Very true...I should have been more specific. I was referring to traditional presentatins of songs, plays, books, etc in their "final" form (onstage, on a cd, on a bookshelf)

My apologies for any confusion caused by my generalizations.

Brian said...

I'm just jerking your chain.